Experiencing Peace, Giving Love, Sharing Joi

Monday, January 11, 2010

A Little Love....Love.Jones



I'll tell you a little secret about me. I love slightly pretentious fiction. You know where they name drop all of their literary influences. I think they just want to let you know how well versed they are in rare and exotic music, art, literature, scripture, food, and even coffee.If  I'm reading for pleasure and googling to ensure that I am tracking, well I'm more than enamored. It might even be love.

So anyway, I adore this book, Waiting in Vain. Please move past the cover art, don't judge me! It's so rich, fabulous, so nouveauo knowledge aka nouveau riche. I adore this book. I love how sensitive and SMART the main character, "Fire" is. How deeply he loves his love interest, Sylvia, and how throughout their love affair they espouse and deject the nouveau riche while almost actually being among them. The way they name drop musicians, poets, and artists left and right, I love it. You wonder how they get all this knowledge? And if you are me then are enriched yet envious of their well versed verbiage.

Recently, I read a book in that vane, that I think is on a level that I might be able to attain with hard work k. Hmm, maybe I'll get an atelier to write this masterpiece. Sorry, I had to use clutch.com's word of the day. Don't you love it! Anyway, said book was was entitled Natural Woman. The author spoke of a song called, The Chosen. I was intrigued but I still haven't located it. But that matters not. The point is the writer had me wanting me to do more research. Ding, ding, ding. Good job, Lori Johnson.

One of my first influences of this kind was the old and yet lovely, Love Jones. Hmm, you see my profile name is Love.Joi. It's funny how our influences permeate our thoughts and manifest in such interesting ways. Anyway, the beloved Nina and Darious, why they are ART. They drop lyrics from songs, listen to all of the very best in cultured jazz, speak of Gordon Parks, Charlie Parker, and Nina introduced me to my beloved Sonia Sanchez.

Poem #3


I gather up each sound you left behind and stretch them on our bed.each nite I breathe you and become high.


Really Sonia, this poem makes me high! I adore it, and then the fact that Nina dropped it out so carefree like, as they walked on the street well that enriched the prose. I even adore the cinematography in Love Jones. Seriously, the dialogue is virtually edible. It could sustain me during a fast. I want to live in Love Jones, hang out in poetry slams and bookstores. As it stands I am only known at the library, lol. I am in love with the library but that's a whole other post. Coming soon.....

Back to Love Jones, let's not even mention its soundtrack! Lauryn Hill before Lauryn Hill jumped the shark. That in itself is beauty. I love how Love Jones' visuals, literature and song coalesced to create ART. That is also my aim on this blog. Inspirational words, visual art, and song coalesced to convey my heart, my heart for God. FYI, dontcha' just love the heart at the top of this post. It's a most beautiful inanimate heart ;-)

In any case, in the most ridiculous decision in history, this lovely song, I'll Never Stop Loving You by Charles Cameron was left off of the soundtrack. Enjoi an excerpt embedded below!

love.joi