Experiencing Peace, Giving Love, Sharing Joi

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Who will carry your mat?

I am listening to my first audio book. I adore the feeling of pages between my fingers so a book on tape is a change but I gave it a shot since the book I was requesting from the library was on back order; but the audio series was available immediately. Seriously, a book, tea, and me is more than a perfect trio. Three is never a crowd in this circumstance. Oh, doesn't this scene below look enticing?

When, reading an actual book I am definitely not afraid to dog ear pages, highlight, or place a "post it" near an important passage. It's the very reason why I can't let anyone borrow my copy of Battlefield of the Mind; an amazing and life altering read. But, I can't let you borrow my copy since it's marked all up I can't let you see the markings because it would lead you on a path straight toward my frailties, insecurities, and crazies! I mean seriously, who can I trust to know the keys right to my insanity? Who is worthy of that knowledge? Brings me to the title of this post; who will carry your mat? This is the question raised in the first few chapters of Everybody's Normal Til You Get To Know Them; by John Ortberg. Mr. Ortberg's question is derived from the Gospel of Luke. See the scripture below:



Some men came carrying a paralytic on a mat and tried to take him into the house to lay him before Jesus. When they could not find a way to do this because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and lowered him on his mat through the tiles into the middle of the crowd, right in front of Jesus.When Jesus saw their faith, he said, "Friend, your sins are forgiven." Luke 5:18-20
 He is simply inquiring who can we call upon when in need? Who do we allow to know us; our frailties, insecurities, and yes our crazies, lol? He further inquired; are you one who is more amenable to picking up another's mat but won't allow them to pick up your own? What's that about? This brief excerpt of scripture in Luke is jam packed with knowledge. This man, a paralytic, in this day; a time period where Ortberg describes edicts and laws which dictate those physically disabled be killed at birth.  Those who remain alive were often ostracized and labeled sinners. John 9:2 Despite all these these tags, this unnamed man's limitations, and any insecurities this man was able to create community. Community is big concept in Ortberg's text. Astounding when you think about it. His little community, an original small group/bible study functioned miraculously well, literally. These men sawed a whole right through a roof in order that this man could come into contact and into the healing of Jesus Christ. This was able to happen because this paralytic allowed someone else to carry his mat!


I sought out this book to determine just how abnormal everyone else was in order to give myself a measure of peace. I know, I know but tell the truth and shame the devil, lol. Because, really I am certain that I am not the only person who sometimes believes they are a complete and utter alien. I needed to read ahem hear more about the fact there were others like me, lol.. Anyway, I digress. Let it be known that John Ortberg is anointed and this book could change your life. I pray that John Ortberg's words fall on fallow ground with me and others who pick up this book or slide it into their computer or CD player.

While I still have about four more CD's left in this saga, and am debating if I need to purchase this book and be able to hold it in my hands, I am already left pondering who will I allow to carry my mat? Who will carry yours, dear reader? Whose mat will you carry?

Many Blessings,

Love, Joi~

No comments:

Post a Comment